Supports Cross Border LifeStyle

This time, I would like to introduce three points that I would like you to do before returning to Japan permanently or that you should seriously consider implementing.

  • Changing the authentication system

U.S. financial institutions generally only send text messages to mobile phones located in the United States. Dual authentication systems are now widespread. When you try to access your account on your P.C., the financial institution sends you a code to the registered mobile phone. Once you receive the code, and only when you enter it on the P.C., the financial institution’s system sees that the authentication is complete, and you can see your account. Of course, once you do it on the same P.C., you don’t have to repeat the same thing for a certain period, but if you change your computer or access it to a different location, you will have to follow this procedure.

If you return to Japan, you will not be able to use your mobile phone in the United States, or you may not have already canceled the mobile phone contract. Therefore, you should change the certification process through U.S. mobile phones before returning home. I think that authentication procedures other than mobile phones are different for each institution. I would like you to confirm it firmly. You need to identify what kind of authentication is available. After going to Japan, you want to avoid being unable to authenticate and access it.

  • Setting up your account for Social Security

You can set up My Social Security Account on the Social Security website. Once you set up this account, you will be able to reissue your card, predict your benefit amount, estimate a reduction due to the WEP, and much more electronically. However, the actual registration screen only accepts U.S. addresses if you look at the virtual registration screen. In other words, the SSA does not expect people living abroad to set up this account. You may be able to borrow the address of a family member or friend you trust, but it is still better to prepare it before leaving for Japan. Once created, the rest should be able to be used electronically, so let’s make this account before returning to Japan.

  • Obtaining a certificate of residence at the consulate

If you have Japanese nationality and reside in the area under the consulate’s jurisdiction, you can obtain a “Zairyu Shomei” certificate at that consulate. In other words, the Japanese government will prove that you lived in the United States. You can get proof of your current address, proof of past address and period of residence, and evidence of family members living with you. Many Japanese who have returned to Japan have informed me that it was very convenient for them to carry out various procedures if they had proof that they had lived in the United States. When you return to Japan, there is no past data of you in Japan, so if you have this residence certificate, the government proves your residence history, so it seems that you can reassure the other side. Only the self can apply for this certificate. You must do this before returning to Japan.

CDH provides tax return preparation and tax consulting services for cross-border individuals living in the United States or foreign countries and strives every day to solve and explain various problems and questions of these people. In addition, the issues faced by these people are complex and wide-ranging, including the tax laws of your country and the United States, immigration law, life insurance, and retirement rules. This article makes complex tax laws and regulations as easy as possible to understand just the point. Therefore, there are many exceptions. There is also a risk that the rules have already changed by reading them. Please get in touch with us from the following website for the latest practices. Also, if you take action, be sure to consult with experts in tax and legal affairs.

CDH Resources  You can access them all on the page. YouTube, FaceBook, free online consultations, estate, permanent resident waiver, exit tax, Form 1040, tax simulation, overseas asset reporting, other sectoral online question forms, and monthly newsletter sign-ups. For more information-packed past articles, check out Please feel free to use it.